Thursday, October 31, 2013

I Want To Sing ( @bisa_kdei ) Bisa K Dei's Songs In Church

Once again the issue of what gospel music is has come on board for discussion and this time the fog light falls on Bisa K Dei's songs 'Metanfo' and 'Baaba' whose statuses of genre have engendered controversies.

The 'Metanfo,' song which is in a slow high life vein has the singer asking his enemy to leave him alone because he has Jehovah by his side to stand by him and deliver him from evil.

I am sure he took inspiration from Mica 7:8 in the Bible to compose that song: “Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.”-NKJV.

Listening to his lyrical content which is just like most gospel music songs, one has no option to tag it as gospel. Some music fans have said that if Isaiah K. Ampong 'Akokofunu' which is more philosophical than Biblical can be called gospel, how much more 'Metanfo'?

On the other hand, some people have also said that the song doesn't become a gospel song because it was performed by a secular artiste and that is more of an insinuation, something they believe shouldn't be a part of gospel music. They claim the fact that it mentions Jehovah in the song doesn't make it gospel.
Bisa K Dei has another song titled 'Baaba' which is also enjoying massive rotation on most radio stations, in clubs and at other social functions. This other composition of K Dei is basically a praise song to God; one that thanks God for his goodness and mercies.

In Ghana, if an artiste who doesn't do mainstream gospel music does a gospel song, people find it very difficult to accept them. The tendency to judge people by how they look and what they usually do, makes it very difficult for most people to accept it when someone takes a foray into something that may not be their wonted practice.

I have heard American R&B crooner R Kelly's 'The Storm Is Over' being performed in so many churches here in Ghana and they see nothing wrong with it. These are churches that have a lot of their members in the elite class. My church is for the masses but I want to dread singing these two songs of Bisa at church service. I will rehearse with the band before the day of performance and make sure I perform it when the pastor is about to deliver his sermon.

I can't tell what he will do. He may ask that I stop singing or allow me to sing. If he doesn't allow me to sing it, it probably could mean he doesn't also understand what gospel music is or may have a different orientation of what songs qualify to be sung in church.

Bisa K Dei is not a devil. 'Metanfo' and 'Baaba' are songs that can bless souls in church so it passes the gospel music test. Just as I am planning to sing these songs at church, I guess somebody is thinking alike but fears he might not be welcomed if he does. The songs are nice gospel tunes; enjoy them wherever you find yourself.

By Kwame Dadzie

No comments:

Post a Comment

.