Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Piece Of Peace : Learning To Deal With Disappointments

Hello and welcome to a Piece of Peace, your weekly dose of motivation and inspiration. This week I would like to share on the topic of “learning to deal with disappointments.” A couple of weeks ago I went for an audition for an upcoming TV series. Naturally I was excited to be called as I am still living in a bubble of “I can’t believe this is actually happening,”. By this is actually happening, I mean being given the opportunity to do something that I never thought I would have the courage to do- Act. I have faced a lot of fears so far on this amazing journey.

Growing up I have always been introverted. I never had a social media account of any form until literally a year and a half ago. Yes. I was one of those prehistoric relics that did not even jump on the hi5 or my space hype. What was the deal with HI5 any way? The amount of stick I got for not being on it I don’t think actually made sense.

From being on new social media platforms like instagram and Facebook, I definitely don’t think that old obsolete platform had the level of functionality that these modern day platforms have. So what was all the excitement about? Anyway, less I digress; I was at this audition and amidst the nerves of remembering my lines, which I absolutely did not rehearse for, not through any fault of my own by the way.

I stayed up late the night before having drinks with a group of friends so I blame them. The morning of the audition I decided to make a quick dash to chicken republic for that rice and beans with red sauce- I know any true Nigerian chicken republic fan will understand what I am talking about.
Anyway I spent the morning of the audition eating and hence got to the audition late. So I blame food.

Now I’m at the audition trying to cram 5 pages of some random script in 20 minutes. I knew that was never going to happen. I made peace with the fact that I had probably screwed up the audition so I was just going to go in and read. Id explain to them that this is how auditions are done in the new digital age, with an iPhone 6 in hand to read your lines.

It made sense to me and I knew they would see my vision too. As I sat back, I watched a mixed group of boys and girls interacting with each other. Am I the only weirdo that watches a group of people and try to decipher what their background story is? Like for example, there was a lady dressed in a very sexy body con dress and 6 inch heels and I was wondering if she also went out late like me and decided to dash straight to the audition because she did not have the chance to go home. You do that too? Great. It’s not only me. Anyway I sat waiting, a lady came out of the audition room and just broke down crying.

Naturally, I asked what happened. After sobbing uncontrollably for the best part of 10 minutes, she managed to explain to me that, this was her 4th audition with the company and yet again, she was told she was just not good enough. She did not know how long she could keep coming back and after almost 5 years of struggling to make ends meet, she was tired and was going to give up. Acting was her last resort and the level of rejection and disappointment is leaving her feeling like she is not good enough to do anything else.

I completely sympathised with how she was feeling. The fear or rejection or disappointment can be something that is extremely difficult to overcome. It can keep us trapped in a place of inactivity. It is very important to not let this fear control you. Nobody said how long the hustle will take or even if you are going to be able to endure the long race. But what was promised is that all hard work pays off eventually.

There is no real way of overcoming disappointments outside simply trying again and again and again until you get that break through. In the meantime, use that disappointment as a step closer to getting to that yes. Put it this way, if someone showed you the future, and you could see a hundred disappointments and low moments but eventually you will strike gold and get one success story that will make you a billionaire. Would that 100 disappointments be worth it?

Never give up on your dream due to rejection or disappointments. They should only motivate you because each disappointment means you have just eliminated one less obstacle to your final destination. Always keep pushing and never give up. And remember always, be yourself because everyone else is taken.

Much Love,

Peace Hyde.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/peac_hy

Instagram: http://instagram.com/peac_hy/


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peace-Hyde/448041131971101?ref=bookmarks

Linked in: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/public-profile-settings?trk=prof-edit-edit-public_profile

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGhjgbBYk9Es0msRJN9BitA

No comments:

Post a Comment

.