Thursday, November 20, 2014

“Nobody Sees Your Dreams” Says CD Thompson Of Xfm

Interviewer : “Hello, today I’m here with one of the best radio talk show host in Ghana & Also one of the funniest and most eccentric characters I’ve ever met and
I ‘m glad to introduce to you Thompson CD Nortey.”

Thompson: *laughs*

Interviewer : “How does it feel to be on the ‘hot seat’ answering questions instead?”

Thompson : “Well, I love being put on the spot so now that I’m here lets see how it goes?”

Interviewer : “Okay, so tell us how your childhood was and some of your experiences growing up?”

Thompson : “Erm..I grew up in the barracks so u can say I’m a ‘Ba-racks boy’. My dad was in the military and I was also born at the 37 military hospital so I basically
spent my whole childhood there.”

Interviewer : “Okay,so tell us about your family?”

Thompson : “I have a sister, a crazy sister.*laughs* She’s very stubborn,very intelligent and a very loving person too. Also I have a kid brother and he’s just like my
sister.”

Interviewer : ” What was your father like?”

Thompson : “Ah,that man*laughs*..he doesn’t talk much, more of an action person and he was strict in way.”

Interviewer : “What of your mum?”

Thompson : “My mum used to talk…like talk a lot.”

Interviewer : “Yeah, we all know how mothers are like..
So how was school like for you?”

Thompson : “Oh for me I went to “Syto”*laughs* Forces Basic School is where I attendend at first. from there I studied engineering at Royal Technical College at Nungua which was kind of a surprise to my parents even though they knew I was really good with the computer. That was part one so I went to Accra Poly to do engineering part two and three but along the line I went into to radio.”

Interviewer : “So when did you realize you had a passion for radio?”

Thompson : “Well, my passion for radio came through music. I really love music. Back in those days I’d go to the cafe’ just to download music, people started asking if I was a DJ*laughs* They’d see me and go like “Chale you bi Dj or what?” *laughs*

Interviewer : “Wow..talking about music, tell us who we would find on your playlist?”

Thompson : *laughs*”Nobody familiar, but I love Tracy Chapman. I really love her music.”

Interviewer : “Really? Then I must conclude that you have good taste in music.”

Thompson : “Oh, yes I do..I remember those days when I wasn’t at home, the house would be quiet until I got home. Next thing they’ll be speakers banging all over the place.”*laughs* That was how everybody knew I was home.”

Interviewer : “That’s really cool..so what was the turning point for you?”

Thompson : “My turning point was when I saw a picture of me which was taking when I was a baby, and I
was actually wearing a headset…I was like damn!! and that was it, my turning point.”

Interviewer : “So we know you host a couple of shows on Xfm.The “X-Cypher”,”Nite Express” and “The Wannabe”
show. Can you tell us how all these happened?”

Thompson : “Well, first of all I applied to Xfm as an intern after studying at a RABODEF which is a radio academy.I then went for interviews at Xfm and my boss at the time was Eddy Blay.It went well and that was how I officially started at Xfm.”

Interviewer : “So what do you feel is your biggest achievement so far?

Thompson : “Actually, I think there’s more to achieve but I think meeting and interviewing Komla Dumor
was one of my biggest moments. I was just glad to meet him because he’s one my role models”

Interviewer : “How do you feel when so many people call during your show especially 12am midnight?

Thompson : “Errm..It amazing. Really amazing that people call to contribute and support my show esspecially when it’s late in the night. It just goes to show how people love the show. Actually if you’re doing radio and you open you phone lines and u don’t get any calls, it means there’s something wrong. Radio requires a lot of talent. People actually doubted I could do radio because I stammer when I talk but amazingly when I get on air, it just goes away and everything is perfect. Its
really amazing” *smiles*

Interviewer : “You’re one of the few who helps upcoming talented rappers through your X-Cypher show, can you
tell us who you think is the next big thing on your show?”

Thompson : “Errm..I don’t want to mention names now but know how to tell who can sell better. There are people who are talented but can’t sell and others are not that talented but can really sell.”

Interviewer : “Okay,so now lets go a little personal. Are you single?

Thompson : *smiles*”Yes, and don’t ask why cus I don’t know”

Interviewer : “Okay so when do you see yourself getting married?”

Thompson : *laughs*”I don’t know ooh..but the thing is I want to achieve some other things first before I think
about getting married”

Interviewer : “Okay, so you’re single. Are you ready to mingle?

Thompson : *smiles*”Well I don’t really know…but yeah, i might be open to someone.”

Interviewer : “So tell me, which Ghanaian celebrity can you not say “No” to in terms of having a relationship with?”

Thompson : *laughs*”Actually I’d say no to all of them..but there’s this one girl and I’m not gona say her name. The thing is that I don’t really go for looks but I’m more into a woman who’s intelligent you know,the problem solving type.”

Interviewer : “What’s your favorite kinda of movie?”

Thompson : “I like science fiction movies which obviously means I don’t really watch a lot of Ghanaian movies.”

Interviewer : “Talking of Ghanaian movies, what do you think about Kumawood movies?”

Thompson : *laughs*”Kumawood is interesting..I’m just waiting to hear one being premiered at Silverbird cinemas”

Interviewer : “What do you think of our movie industry as a whole?”

Thompson : “Errm..The thing is do we really have an industry? The entertainment industry really needs a lot more but we’re trying. We’re just not there yet.”

Interviewer : “It’s been a really interesting conversation with you, Thompson CD Nortey and I hate to end this discussion but before you go can you give a word of advice to anyone out there who wants to do radio or perhaps enter the world of media?”

Thompson : “To all the youth out there, If you dream of being something just go for it. They might tell you all sort of things to discourage you but the truth is that, nobody sees your dreams except you.”

Thompson CD Nortey is the host of “Night Express”,”The Wannabe Show” and “X-cypher” on Xfm95.1. This interview was by Desmond Kunjan, a representative of www.enterghana.com. Copyright of Enterghana. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

.