Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Discovery Of Castro Underfire, Beatmaker Jay Q Reveals All

“Today is exactly one month since the disappearance of Castro. I have turned down every interview about him. A lot of people have made false stories about his discovery and how he entered the music industry. This is a true Story of the discovery of Castro, his entry to the Ghana Music Industry and his success story By Jeff Quaye (JAY Q/JQ).

In the year 1999 – 2001, I was one of the engineers in Virtual studio a midst Waltermoon, Philip, Emmanuel and Martin. I went there after the closer of CHM where I and Zola worked due to renovations and maintenance. Virtual studio was eventually changed to Universal studio after I took over as manager. It was an arrangement i had with the CEO Nana Poku. During this period, my assistant was Emmanuel Nana Agyeman (AKA AGYINGO) who knew CASTRO from Takoradi. So Castro comes to the studio every day and sits close to where I park my car but I had no idea who he was, though I notice him anytime I park my car.

I worked with an Artist from Italy (A Ghanaian) called RAY KING who expressed interest in wanting to feature Nkasei (due to their hit song that I produced at the time that was enjoying massive airplay “MONKEY CHOP BANANA.” Nkasei came to the studio and soon as they started bargaining the amount they would charge to feature, I left them for launch to the care of my assistant Agyingo.


Upon returning from launch, the session had closed but my assistant was waiting for me, I then asked if Nkasei did the song and he asked me to listen. Upon listening, I heard a voice I had never heard before so I inquired who it was from my assistant (since I knew it wasn’t Nkasei), then he told me his name is Castro, the guy who sits by my car. So I sent for him. He came and I asked him to do the same thing he did on the song to know if it’s really him, and he did exactly. Knowing he’s got talent, I asked where he was staying, and he said he lives with some friends in Mallam and that he walks to my studio (situated on the graphic road opposite MTN) every day.

Same day I met him and spoke with him, i took him home to go stay with me at North Kaneshi, Bubiashie (ACCRA).

Castro at the time of his discovery, was a RAP artist, but in one of the two songs he featured, he did a little intro which was singing, before the rap, so I knew he could sing. I then migrated from virtual/universal studio studio to Hush Hush where I featured him on 4×4′s debut album that I produced/engineered as well as financed the production- cost. On the “Siklitele” track that he featured, he did rap.

During this same era, work on the JAY Q platinum compilation was going on. I then decided to do a remix of “Sradinam” by George Jahraa. After laying the instrumentation, I asked Castro to go into the vocal booth to do the vocals as I directed him, which he did, as a Guide track for George Jahraa to come and sing later. After it was done, I invited George Jahraa to Accra from Suhum (where he stayed at the time), to come listen and re do the “Sradinam” remix vocals. Upon getting to Hush Hush studio, I played the song for him to listen after which he advised me to keep Castro’s voice and that though he did the original song, he thinks Castro got talent, so I kept it.

Though “Sradinam” was initially meant for my compilation, I released it to Frimprince to be added to King David’s “Aaye fe notse album” but was stated that sradinam was performed by Castro and not King Dave. Frimprince later went to Europe to replicate the “Aaye fe notse” CD, after which promotion there in Europe out-doored “Sradinam” and it was accepted there.

Frimprince then called me from Europe and asked me to put an album together for Castro and that the “Sradinam” is a big hit in Europe, which I did… So at this time, I had to nature Castro into putting more effort in his singing ability. I then told him that we need to add something to the name Castro, so in Hush hush studio when producing his debut album, I and the guy who managed my Q-Lex Entertainment Label, Charles Asare AKA Chakua gave him the name CASTRO DESTROYER.

First time Castro heard “Sradinam” been played was in Glenns Night club (Adabraka), upon hearing the song, he stopped dancing for a minute and tears filled his eyes. He realized his dreams were coming true.

“Sradinam” album was made ready for Frimprince music as he requested and it was released and became a big hit for Castro. After sradinam, he made some money and moved out form my house in north kaneshie and rented his own apartment. I remember the first cell phone I got him, Nokia 8210, the wine color, he was so happy and showed his gratitude.

After “Sradinam”, we did the Toffee Album also for Frimprince. Before moving unto to the Late Apor’s label PRINCE DAVE RECORDS where we did Com center in Rich City Studio (Dansoman ASORE DANHO).

I formed CASHFACE (Castro, Shilo and Screw Face) and we recorded 024419 album in PSI studio (Asalym Down) with Sammy AKA Madness Also for Frimprince Music. It was after this that he formed his own Wonge Entertainment.

This is the true Story of the Discovery of Castro and his entry to the Ghana music industry.”

Watch Castro and Sarkodie performing ‘Adonai’ at 2014 Ghana meets Naija below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

.