Sunday, August 16, 2015

#CypressGhanaInNaija : OMO Naija - The Land Of The Green White Green

When I touched down finally in Lagos in anticipation for the City Peoples Entertainment Awards and I must say Lagos is not far from what I have heard and seen through music, movies and online media.

I left the shores of Ghana, Friday August 7th with a colleague blogger Abdullai Isshak of YFM Ghana.

Inside Murtala Muhammed International Airport, this immigration woman won’t allow a few other passengers from our flight to pass because our Yellow Card was too new.

Only God knows what she meant by the Yellow Cards being too new…

Immigration Officer: Ah, you stand on this side, why is your card so new?

Passenger: I did this at the airport because I lost the one I did at the hospital a few years back.

Two other passengers arrive with seemingly new Yellow Cards…

Immigration Officer: Ah, you people planned this abi? So what’s your excuse? You were born today?

Passenger: I lost the one I did with hospital in Ghana…

Immigration Officer: Oh I see, same story… Oya join them there...

A Nigerian passenger to us…

You guys should start organizing something oh because this woman na alaye oh.

One Passenger: What’s Alaye?

Naija Passenger: Ah you guys don’t know who an alaye is… Then you will be here for a long time.

Immigration Woman: Ah, Listen to me gentlemen; Today is Friday night and you know the weekend has already started for some people. Shebi you know mine will start as soon as I leave here… I won’t talk again.

All of a sudden, everyone understood Alaye and started digging into their pockets and wallets.

In Naija; the number rule in negotiation is, don’t let the cab drivers or anyone at all you talking money with know you are new to the system.

The newer you are – the more expensive things get.

At the airport, Abdullai called a friend who lives about 10 minutes away from the Murtala Muhammed Airport asked him to hand over the phone to Cab driver for him direct him to Maryland;

This is what happened;

Abdullai's Friend on Loud speaker: Oga, I beg I want make you bring my friend to Mende near Missisipi Hotel, how much una go charge?

Driver: 4000 Naira

Abdullai's Friend: Ah Oga, just Mende here, you want take 4000, Abeg make I give una 3000.

Why, una dey carry dead body come give me?

Driver: Ah bros why, God forbid make I carry dead body come give una… Na proper person I dey carry come now. Come on!

Driver quickly handed me my phone, I run to another taxi with my best Locally Acquired Naija  Accent:

Abdullai : Oga, I dey go Mende, Missisipi Hotel.

Driver: Oga Welcome oh; na 4000.

Abdullai: Abeg where una car dey.

In the land of the Green White Green, Only the smartest & fittest survive.

I lodged in Westown Hotel, Ikeja. Thanks to The CEO Of EIBnetwork , Nathan Kwabena Anokye Adisi (Bola Ray) & Empire Entertainment I made it to Nigeria safely . Visit this website again for my experiences with the food and event itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.