Friday, March 28, 2014

VGMA 2014: I don’t think I have a competitor – Shatta Wale speaks

Since  the nominees’ list of this year’s edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards was unveiled on March 1, many artistes have come forward to stake their claim for one award or the other.

Surprisingly,dancehall musician Shatta Wale, who brought on board a lot of vibrancy on the music scene last year, seems to have gone AWOL.

Besides a couple of statements immediately after the list was released, the  Enter the Net singer has been unusually quiet on the subject of awards although he has been nominated for the Reggae -Dancehall Song of the Year, Song of the Year and the ultimate, Artiste of the Year awards.

“Everybody saw what Shatta Wale did last year that is why I don’t want to blow my own horn. For me, I don’t think that I have a competitor.

This year is my year so I am just watching how events unfold” he told Showbiz last Tuesday from Canada where is currently on tour to promote his music.
He told Showbiz that even though he recognises the efforts of other artistes, none of could match up to the public appeal and performances he enjoyed last year.

“I am not underrating the other artistes but I think I have worked well enough to get the Artiste of the Year. I was the only artiste who could get the stadium filled up.

I salvaged a lot of events that could otherwise have been  a flop and I can tell for a fact that, no artiste has ever earned such a large public appeal like I did last year.

Which artiste had his music played on air more than mine? Why don’t I deserve the Artiste of the Year?” Going by the definition of who deserves Artiste of the Year, I think that I stand very tall” he said.

What if Shatta Wale were to miss out on the Artiste of the Year award? “Africa and the world would be surprised if I don’t win the ultimate because my works are evidence for all to be witnesses to” he stated.

Contrary to speculations that Shatta Wale’s public appeal has been gradually waning this year, his manger, Bull Dog who spoke to Showbiz  refuted such claims and argued that the media always looked for controversial issues to talk about his artiste.

“Because Shatta Wale has not been caught up in controversies, then that means his popularity is fading which shouldn’t be so. Just last two weeks, he performed excellently at the stadium alongside some Jamaican artistes but that wasn’t news enough”, he said.

Bull Dog said while in Canada they are working to put Shatta Wale’s brand on the world music map and that will see him do many collaborations with international artistes after his collaboration with Jahvinci and Davido which  is already receiving airplay.

Credit: Graphic Showbiz

No comments:

Post a Comment

.