Tuesday, January 28, 2014

READ: Komla Dumor’s letter to father in May 2003

From: Komla Dumor
To: Ernest Dumor
Date: 20th May 2003

Hi Daddy,

I hope you are well. It was nice talking this evening. You know it’s so difficult to call Ghana. Sometimes just getting in touch with the country is such a frustration. Anyway, things are really wrapping up here at Harvard. I’ve just about come to the end of what has been a pretty amazing experience. The academic work has been rigorous and intense.

But I have coped very well. I’ve generally topped my class in most cases and developed some really good relationships with some professors. Last week I got back 4 papers and the worst grade was A- which is quite remarkable considering the fact that Harvard uses the forced grading curve system. It’s been quite a ride. I have made some friendships that I believe will last a lifetime.My time here was also changed by the birth of Elinam who has helped me to find a purpose for effort in times I felt rather despondent. She’s really a source of JOY for me and HOPE as well in these difficult times. I can now understand why people are prepared to kill for their children.

The other day I was thinking about the trip we had across America. I find myself often thinking about those times and those days in Sumner, Daffodil Valley, Buster LaBrie, PLU and the rest. The feelings I get bring back some nostalgia I can’t explain. You know I wrote toe Daffodil Valley and actually got a reply from the principal.

Apparently the old school was torn down because it was sinking. It was eventually rebuilt. I really wish we had the money to retrace our steps across America. It’s funny how the other day they showed the Black Stallion movie on TV. I could only smile. Life was so simple then.

Well Daddy, as things come to their conclusion I just want to let you and Mummy know that I really appreciate all that you have done for me. Who I am and where I stand today are entirely to your credit. I couldn’t ask for a better pair of parents.

I’ve truly been blessed to have you as my parents. When I think of all the sacrifices you have made from Lansing to Kano to Jos to Accra, I am humbled and pray that I can stand as a parent to Elinam. If I had the money, I’d give you so much. If there was a way I could carry your pains I would volunteer in a minute. But life doesn’t work that way.

I know a day will come when we will look back and celebrate these times. Until then, I can only express my love for you. I am grateful.

Your Loving Son,
Koml

No comments:

Post a Comment

.